Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fair Trade?

Okay, okay, I know it's good to only try to change one thing at a time in life, but I can't help it. I've previously blogged about my new fascination with organic body products, now I'm learning about fair trade items.

I was in my doctor's office yesterday, and there is an ad talking about slavery - mainly, that there are more slaves today than ever before in history. I find that crazy. And, it's due to my love of chocolate. Okay, maybe not directly my love of chocolate, but more due to our Western culture's demand for cheap items, the price of cocoa plummeting, and corruption in different levels in the country itself.

Of course, there are different types of slavery, trafficking and all of that, but the ones that directly impact me in my day-to-day consumption is coffee and chocolate. These are the ones I can change today by making different shopping choices, anyways!

The facts:
  • Close to 14 million people, in over 30 countries, depend on cocoa production, mainly grown in the tropical regions of of the global South - West Africa (the Ivory Coast)
  • 90% of the world's cocoa is grown on family-owned farms
  • Cocoa farmers work with intermediaries, who pay only a fraction of the cost of the actual value of the crop, and have limited access to information on how much their crop is worth.
  • The value of cocoa has plummeted, leading to an increase in child and slave labour.

There are many more statistics out there, but I have a 10-month-old screaming in my ear, so I'll have to make this quick.

Basically, I am endeavouring to buy my coffee and chocolate made by providers with the Fair-Trade logo and certification. It will cost more. But this is one area where I have no second-thoughts: I believe God wants me to protect the dignity of human life. And this is one very easy way to do it. I trust that God will provide for my needs if I walk in His ways.

'Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your way acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight'. Proverbs 3:5-6

Link to Transfair Canada for way more information: http://transfair.ca/en

2 comments:

  1. Love this post... really interesting & I totally agree with you about God wanting us to protect the dignity of human life... I will make the switch with you. Thanks for making me think so early in the morning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know MCC and Ten Thousand Villages sells Fair Trade Coffee. We have been buying it there for years and Mark loves it! Since I don't drink coffee I can't tell you how it tastes. I know there's quite a few kinds though.

    ReplyDelete